Suppose you had to choose one book that represented your country to a person who has never visited your country. Which book would it be ?
That question was posed to 22 ambassadors, and here in this article (see below) they offer their books of choice.
But first, for visitors to the USA we would suggest reading the following books.
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Poems by Emily Dickinson
- Huckleberry Finn by Samuel Clemens
- Martin Eden by Jack London
- Hungry Hearts by Anzia Yezierska
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymous Bosch by Henry Miller
- Technopoly by Neil Postman
- The Adventures of Mr Marigold by Michael Charles Tobias
- Thoreau Bound by Michael Pastore
And — we did not forget — here is a link to the article by the choices of the ambassadors.
Thanks for the photo of the books, by photographer Annie Spratt, via Unsplash.com